- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
The City of Delaware has great summer job opportunities. Entry level to semi-skilled work available, 24-40 hours per week and flexible schedules. Jobs can begin as early as April and continue through as late as October, but we will work with your schedule and availability. Apply today!Under the general supervision of the Division Supervisor and the immediate supervision of the lead crew member on a particular assignment, assist in performing manual job duties. Seasonal workers may be assigned to any division within the City as a substitute for individuals on vacation, sick leave, etc. or during heavy work load periods.On average, seasonal work is 24-40 hours per week. Availability of work may be weather dependent.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS depend on the position:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Mow, trim, plant, weed, mulch, clean facilities, remove trash.
- Yard waste collection, painting (interior/exterior), flagging traffic, crack sealing, short line painting and/or pavement markings.
- Operate Close Circuit Televising Video (CCTV), sewer inspections,
- Paint fire hydrants and perform GPS tracking of utilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Use of equipment, machinery and hand/power tools used in department projects and activities.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and to communicate effectively with the public and other employees.
- Ability to understand simple roadmaps and City boundaries.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including calculating and measuring distances.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and related equipment in a skilled and safe manner and in accordance with traffic laws and regulations.
- Ability to perform work in a safe manner and report unsafe activities, conditions and faulty equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with fellow City staff, associates, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to perform manual work for extended periods of time and ability to withstand exposure to variable weather conditions.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- The primary duties of this position are performed in an outdoor environment and may include working in adverse weather conditions, vehicular traffic and hazards involving the use of power tools and equipment, hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and alarm and warning systems, including back-up alarms.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and work orders.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate a variety of hand and power tools and to make adjustments to equipment.
- Sufficient strength to lift and carry objects up to fifty (50) pounds for varying distances.
- Sufficient personal mobility, stamina, flexibility and balance to perform maintenance and repair operations that require bending, stooping, kneeling, stretching and other physical exertions in an outdoor environment, frequently in varying temperatures.
- Sufficient ability to endure prolonged exposure to varying temperatures; i.e. prolonged sun and heat exposure during summer months and cold/wind/dampness exposure during winter months.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- Must be 18 years of age or older with a valid State of Ohio driver license.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.