Our Recruiting Process
Meet the qualificationsStep 1
- Minimum age of 21 & age limit of 40 at time of appointment
- US Citizen or hold a permanent resident card
- High School Grad/GED
- Valid OHIO State Driver's License at time of appointment
- Vision must be correctable to 20/20 with no color blindness
- Job Description and Disqualifiers: Read here
- Residency requirement upon hire is Delaware County or an adjacent County
Qualify for the Civil Service ListStep 2
- Go to the National Testing Network to schedule your written exam
- Up to the top 60 passing NTN scores are invited via e-mail to complete the online application
- Pass the physical agility test (PAT) at scheduled onsite event
- Pass the panel interview with an average score of 75% or higher
- Additional points awarded for college education, military service, and police officer certification AFTER passing the interview
- Candidate’s total score is ranked on Eligible List for certification by Civil Service
Complete the background Step 3
- Background Assessment/Investigation
- Psychological Indexes
- Psychological evaluation
- Physical/drug screen
Expand your skills and career
A benefit of being a City of Delaware Police Officer is the opportunity to expand your career in the direction of your interests. We encourage ongoing growth and training and you will earn the opportunity to work in one of our specialty units such as K-9, bike patrol, tactical and more.
Delaware is great for new officers who want to experience all aspects of law enforcement as well as those who are moving from another police department and want to further their career.
Our officers say it best
I am very appreciative of the team effort which is regularly displayed. That care and compassion for public service makes me proud to be both a City of Delaware employee and resident.
I love serving a city that I truly believe in. Seeing the rise of one of the state's fastest growing communities happen right before your eyes is inspiring. It has offered me the professional opportunities of a large city with a small town atmosphere that makes me proud to call Delaware my new hometown. Just to be able to play a role in that and leave Delaware's citizens and visitors feeling like their police encounter was something extraordinary is rewarding.