Seasonal Camp Counselor
- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
You can do great work and love what you do with the City of Delaware! We are an organization that succeeds because of teamwork, dedication, diversity and the innovative spirit of all of our employees. The City of Delaware is an award-winning local government organization known for its professionalism, customer service orientation and a strong commitment to distinctive and well-planned community development. Our mission is to ensure an effective government, a healthy economy, being a safe city and welcoming you to be a part of this great community!
Under the direction of the Recreation Program Superintendent and the immediate supervision of the Senior Program Coordinator, this position is responsible for assisting with the coordination and daily operation of the City’s Day-camp programs for children ages 6-12 years old. Responsibilities include planning, implementing, and coordinating a specified program area for all camp participants. Must provide high quality recreational experiences for participants while maintaining positive energy. This position requires general knowledge of sports, creative arts, and outdoor activities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: For purposes of 42 USC 12101
- Implement, guide and direct assigned campers in various program activities, including sports and games, aquatics, creative arts and more
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes, but is not limited to, being responsible for campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Keep camp areas clean.
- Be aware of all camp rules and maintain camper discipline as necessary.
- Set a good example for campers, and encourage good sportsmanship and respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
- Maintain good working relationships with co-workers, the public, and parents of campers.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including daily attendance, incident reports and documentation.
- Attends weekly all staff meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to work other than normal working hours and to work various shifts as necessary up to 40 hours per week.
- Ability to lead and participate in physical activities and swimming.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and able to lead, plan and organize activities.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
1. The primary duties of this position are performed in a public office building environment or outdoors and may work in adverse weather conditions.
2. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, to conduct face-to-face and telephone conversations and communicate effectively.
3. Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written materials.
4. Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment and computer systems.
5. Sufficient body flexibility, personal mobility and strength, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office setting, to sit for extended periods and to occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
1. Must be at least 18 years of age.
2. Possession of a High School Diploma, GED or equivalent certificate.
3. Prior experience working with children.
4. First Aid and CPR Certification.
5. Regular and reliable attendance
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position is part of the Permanent Part-Time and Seasonal Employee Ordinance. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The information above is intended to be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding this position.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Pay: $12.48 to $14.56/hour
$12.48 - $14.56
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Reference #: 3908080