Magistrate - Staff Attorney
Magistrate - Staff Attorney
- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
NATURE OF WORK
Position is responsible for assisting both judges in performing the functions of the Delaware Municipal Court. Incumbent reports directly to the Administrative Judge of the Delaware Municipal Court.
- Conduct legal research, analyze case law, reviews rules of procedure, and research legal issues.
- Prepare various court documents and drafts court decisions.
- Conduct and administer court both criminal and civil dockets, including: arraignments, pre-trial hearings, motion hearings, bench trials, community control hearings, small claims court hearings, and evictions.
- Impose sentences commensurate to the offense within the parameters allowed by law.
- Superior knowledge of the legal system to include criminal law, civil law and court processes
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Ohio Revised Code (including Ohio Criminal statutes and Ohio Traffic statutes), Ohio Rules of Criminal Procedure and Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure, and Rules of Evidence
- Knowledge of and ability to research and analyze pertinent case law affecting the cases and legal issues before the Court
- Knowledge of local court rules
- Ability to evaluate cases according to facts and applicable law
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both in writing and orally
- Ability to perform legal research and interpret legal decisions and statutes
- Ability to manage stressful situations
- Ability to define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions using sound judgment and analytical skills in situations that carry implications for the citizens of Delaware County
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, as part of a team and set and achieve goals
- Ability to effectively plan independently and in collaboration with other staff
- Superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from widely varied levels of education and competence, and individuals who may be contumacious upset, distraught, emotionally or mentally or otherwise unable to function within a reasonable range of constructive behaviors
- Demonstrated integrity, reliability and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to maintain and organize large volumes of information and paperwork and manage and direct a large caseload with minimal direct supervision
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
DIFFICULTY OF WORK
Work consists of highly complex, varied, non-standardized tasks requiring the application of numerous laws, rules, regulations and procedures. Decisions and activities of this position have a direct and significant impact on the public. This position has considerable decision-making latitude and authority to implement such decision. Creativity and ingenuity are needed to devise new approaches to death with previously unsolved or novel problems.
The Judges provide general guidance allowing the individual the ability to plan the procedures and methods to attain objectives. Individual makes choices or decisions without supervisory input on most activities, such as establishing/changing priorities, revising officer procedures, and forming collaborative relationships with others. Individual operates independent of supervision in handling daily operations, normally receiving Judge's input when needed. Decisions and activities of this position have a direct impact on the public and/or the delivery of services in Delaware County. Errors in work may result in a reversal of a case at the appellate level. Errors in personal judgment, conduct, or inappropriate actions could subject magistrate to disciplinary proceedings by the Supreme Court of Ohio.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS
Position has direct contact with co-workers, employees in the court system, employees of other city and county offices, public and private sector employees, various local and state agencies, law enforcement personal, legal representatives, and the general public. The purpose of these contacts is to endure that policies and procedures are adhered to, maintain work flow and case schedules, obtain information about cases, to collect information and prepare for trials and other court hearings.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of the position as identified as sedentary work which may require lifting up to 15 pounds, occasionally.
Physical Activity: The physical activities of the positIon are: stooping, climbing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, standing, pushing, pulling, lifting, talking and hearing repetitive motions.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- Juris Doctorate degree is required.
- Individual must be licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio.
- Individual must maintain license through requisite continuing legal education.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver's License and possess an acceptable driving record.