- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
This position may be eligible for the following:
- Referral bonus of $50 for referring a friend, relative, neighbor, or acquaintance to the city for seasonal positions, and that person is hired. Applicants may only identify one current employee who referred them.
- $100 gift card for working a minimum of 40 hours per pay period, done as a raffle.
Under the direction of the Recreation Program Superintendent and Pool Manager, ensure the health and safety of pool patrons through promoting a positive environment, enforcing rules, performing pool rescues and administering first aid/CPR if needed.
Availability of work may be weather dependent. A minimum of 25 hours per week including mornings, nights, holidays and weekends is expected.
- Responsible for the health, safety and rescue of all patrons in and around the pool at all times of operation.
- Consistently promote a positive, professional image at all times and provide consistent high-quality customer service.
- Inspect pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance, including but not limited to, governmental and public relations; legal and regulatory compliance; and supervising the aquatics facility.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of, and comply with, the facility rules, policies and procedures, and consistently and appropriately enforce them.
- Ensure safety of patrons; enforce rules and regulations; assure readiness of equipment; follow policies and procedures.
- Instruct or assist with aquatic related classes.
- Ensure facility cleanness and security.
- Must attend monthly in-service trainings, fitness swims and bi-weekly skill checks.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILIITES
- Skilled in life-guard techniques.
- Ability to administer first aid and CPR.
- Knowledge of aquatics facility operation, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patrons and communicate very effectively.
- Ability to remain calm and work in emergency situations.
- Ability to be interact and be courteous to fellow employees and pool patrons of diverse backgrounds.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- The primary duties of this position are performed in an outdoor environment and include working in adverse weather conditions with exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Sufficient hearing ability, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and emergency signals and to communicate with other employees and the general public.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to climb in and out of pools, swim, provide water rescue of patrons and administer CPR.
- Sufficient strength to lift and carry objects over fifty (50) pounds for varying distances.
- Sufficient mobility, flexibility, stamina and balance to perform activities that require bending, stooping, kneeling, stretching, sitting and standing and other physical exertions. Work includes multi limb coordination in climbing, swimming, and lifting.
- Ability to perform work that requires focused attention either sitting or standing for extended periods of time and the ability to withstand exposure to variable weather conditions.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- Fifteen years of age or older and able to provide documentation of birth date. If under 18 years, must obtain parental or legal guardian permission to work and work permit from the school if working during the school period.
- Certification in American Red Cross Lifeguarding/YMCA, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, or equivalent required and must be maintained over course of employment.
- Honest, dependable, and trustworthy and pass background check.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position is part of the Part-time & Seasonal Pay Plan. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.