- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
It's a great year to join the City of Delaware's dedicated and hardworking team as we continue to grow and be recognized as a "Great Place in America" designation from the American Planning Association and Money Magazine's "100 Best Places to Live in America." Delaware is a family-oriented community that blends a traditional hometown atmosphere with a modern, independent spirit. We are committed to the principles of effective government, healthy economy, and being a safe city and welcome you to be a part of this great community!
Do you have excellent mapping and database skills? We are looking for you to join our IT/GIS team to continue to enhance the mapping capabilities for the City employees and residents. Read on to learn more about this opportunity.NATURE OF WORK
Under the direction of the Chief Information Officer, the GIS Analyst's primary responsibility is to discover patterns and trends through spatial mapping, develop mapping applications and tools and manage a digital library of geographic maps in various file types, among other duties.
GIS Analysts will need to explain geographic trends and findings from their analyses to City employees and other parties as needed.
- Analyze spatial data using mapping software.
- Discover patterns and trends through spatial mapping of data.
- Design digital maps with geographic data and other data sources.
- Create "shapefiles" to merge topographical data with external data by layering external data over a topographical map.
- Produce maps showing the spatial distribution of various kinds of data, including crime statistics and hospital locations.
- Develop mapping applications and tools.
- Convert physical maps into a digital form for computer usage.
- Perform data munging and cleaning to convert data into its desired form.
- Produce reports on geographic data utilizing data visualizations.
- Manage a digital library of geographic maps in various file types.
- Update existing reports.
- Recommend appropriate reactionary strategies in response to GIS/data analysis.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS ABILITIES
- Skilled in use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and concepts such as ESRI ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS for Desktop, Python, and Internet development tools.
- Advanced SQL database skills.
- Effective communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Skill in using tact, discretion, initiative, and independent judgment in managing projects and communicating with others.
- Skill in composing, editing, and proofreading a variety of correspondence, reports, and forms.
- Outstanding quantitative skills, attention to detail and good problem-solving skills and an analytical mindset.
- Advance knowledge of ESRI's ArcGIS core products.
- Knowledge of GIS spatial development techniques and digitizing and data manipulation procedures for GIS.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and concepts such as ESRI ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS for Desktop, Python, and Internet development tools.
- Knowledge of SQL databases.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of use of plotters, scanners, GPS and IOS/Android systems for data collections.
- Knowledge of ESRI's ArcGIS for Desktop software applications combined with associated analysis modules and data storage architecture.
- Knowledge of symbols and terminology used in civil, architectural, or electronic engineering drawing.
- Knowledge of CityWorks or other GIS-centric asset management software used to perform inspection, monitoring, and condition assessment preferred.
- Ability to provide high level technical assistance and support by analyzing difficult problems and recommending solutions.
- Advanced ability to use graphic design application and follow graphic instructions such as blueprints, layouts or other visual aids.
- Ability to diagnose technical problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to work and maintain a professional demeanor during stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees, department heads, vendors, professional organizations, and the public.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to make presentations to small and large audiences, and to train users on software.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information.
- Ability to independently perform detailed work of a difficult nature with a high degree of accuracy.
- Outstanding quantitative skill set.
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving skills.
- Analytical mindset.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Major projects include correlation of existing database with new database information, data error correction, identification of duplicates and missing values. Providing quality graphic output for presentations.
- Integrate programming, mapping, and cartography.
- Conversion and manipulation of graphics and different database file structures.
- Utilization of the data information for query and analysis purposes.
- Utilize ArcGIS for Server and/or ArcGIS Online to develop and maintain a customized Internet website for GIS.
- Analyze data from departments to assist in creating best practices for managing assets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The primary duties of this position are performed in a general office environment with regular visits to off-site City facilities.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and to communicate effectively with others in person and over the telephone.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work requests, to diagnose and detect problems and to develop effective system solutions.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate computer equipment and components, power tools and other office equipment.
- Sufficient personal mobility and flexibility, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office setting and to sit for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient ability and strength to lift, carry, or otherwise move objects up to fifty (50) pounds for varying distances.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- College degree in computer science, data analytics, geography, engineering or 3-5 years experience in GIS analysis.
- Proficiency with database programming languages such as SQL or Python.
- Experience with mapping tools.
- Experience with GPS measuring tools.
- Possession of a valid State of Ohio driver's license.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position is part of the Management Pay Plan. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.