Economic Development Coordinator
- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
Do you have a passion for making a difference in the lives of others? Did you know you can use your communication education, training and background to improve the economic prosperity of our community?
The City of Delaware is seeking an enthusiastic, hard-working self-starter for our Economic Development Communication Specialist position. This is the opportunity to serve one of the fastest growing communities in Central Ohio by attracting new companies, leading the efforts to retain and grow existing companies, and coordinating resources and information for the creation of new businesses. With one of the most vibrant historic downtown's in Ohio, flourishing commercial developments, and a new and growing industrial park, the Economic Development department is a fast paced team environment providing a great deal of variety and opportunities.
The successful Economic Development Coordinator is a self motivated, innovative professional with excellent communication and presentation skills who is willing to occupy a highly visible position in the community, work closely with business and developmental interests while maintaining excellent relations with all City Departments. The Coordinator needs to have maturity of judgment and strong personal leadership skills, as well as an eye for detail while keeping the "big picture" in perspective.
NATURE OF WORK
Under the direction of the Economic Development Director, the Coordinator is responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with the existing business community, marketing and promoting the city to attract new businesses, supporting the expansion of existing businesses, and vigorously seeking out new businesses for the City. The position has considerable interface with all departments of the City, City Council, and the development and business community including being the initial contact person and information resource for existing businesses and may serve as the initial contact for entrepreneurs and new small businesses. The position is responsible for the delivery of exceptional client services, administration of programs, as well as tracking and reporting on key metrics for both internal and external clients.
- Assists in the maintenance, development and coordination of resources for businesses of all sizes.
- Manages the economic development website and other economic development marketing.
- Researches, proposes and creates economic development marketing strategies and tactics.
- Manages the industrial/commercial property database.
- Manages and develops content for economic development social media accounts.
- Manages the City's business retention and expansion program under the direction of the Director.
- Manages business attraction/development projects under the direction of the Director.
- Plans, monitors and promotes economic and community development activities for the City of Delaware in the region, state, nation and internationally.
- Performs other economic development duties including assisting with preparing yearly tax abatement reports, and revolving loan fund and develops and maintains progress reports for related programs.
- Plans departmental events and activities and Entrepreneurial Center events when necessary.
- Strong experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong database and spreadsheet experience
- Strong Web content management system experience
- Strong social media content creation and community cultivation experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Aptitude for defining and solving problems, collecting data, establishing facts, drawing valid conclusions using effective judgment, and analytical skills
- Works independently, under pressure, to achieve goals and to create a supportive work environment
- Skill in using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines
- Knowledge and experience in event planning
- Knowledge of strategic and tactical traditional and multi-media marketing
- Knowledge of economic development programs, fundamentals of negotiations and contract management (helpful but not required)
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations, Ohio Revised Code and Delaware City policies and procedures as they pertain to the work of the department (helpful but not required)
- Extensive knowledge of spreadsheets
- Knowledge of environmental review, bidding, prevailing wage and monitoring procedures associated with publicly funded projects (helpful but not required)
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply rules, regulations and guidelines associated with Economic Development programs (helpful but not required)
- Knowledge of state and local government structure, operations, functions, practices and procedures (helpful but not required)
- High energy and positive attitude
- Ability to forecast requirements and control expenditures within budgeting guidelines
- Ability to work courteously and effectively with clients concerning controversial issues
- Ability to deal with many variables, define and solve problems, collect, analyze and interpret data, establish facts and determine specific action, evaluate and improve process and/or program efficiency / effectiveness
- Ability to research issues relating to economic development programs and business development
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, schedule and prioritize work assignments and tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, governmental officials, business owners and the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in oral and written form and to prepare and present effective public presentations.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Serves as a point person for businesses through face-to-face, e-mail, phone, web interaction.
- Assists in planning and implementing business events.
- Designs and publishes traditional marketing pieces and assists in managing traditional marketing functions such as public relations, advertising, collateral pieces, mailings, etc.
- Provides assistance and technical support to City staff and businesses during the expansion, recruitment, and retention of large and small business.
- Researches and disseminates technical information to the Director of Economic Development.
- Assists in grant applications and management of grants.
- Attends and participates in various board and committee meetings and provides liaison duties. with internal and external customers.
- Assists in the preparation of the department budget.
- Coordinates monthly project reports.
- Assists the director with the coordination of negotiations of private and public developers, businesses and organizations involved in local economic development.
- Works independently on projects, grant programs, loan programs, marketing and business relation functions and tax incentive activities preparing necessary reports and following all necessary requirements.
- Prepares and reviews Requests for Proposals from consultants and developers.
- Works in conjunction with federal, state and local governmental agencies.
- Ensures departmental organization and maintenance of information and documents, and to effectively plan independently and in collaboration with other staff, state and local governments and outside agencies.
- Maintains departmental file and reports for various projects and programs.
- Completes the application for and participates in the implementation of local, state, and federal economic development programs including the City of Delaware's Revolving Loan Fund.
- Performs related essential/non-essential job functions and other duties as assigned.
- The primary duties of this position are performed in a public office building environment with some activities being performed outdoors and under adverse weather conditions.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, use a telephone and communicate effectively with others over the telephone or in person.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written material.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment and computer systems.
- Sufficient body flexibility and personal mobility, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office setting and conduct field inspections, as required.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Administration or related field required.
- Two to three (2-3) years relevant work experience including but not limited to working in a government or non-profit economic development organization or office, corporate new business development office, or marketing/communications/public relations department.
- Must possess a valid Ohio driver's license and have an acceptable driving record. Must meet and maintain qualifications for driving at all times and as a continued condition of employment.
- Must be honest, dependable and trustworthy.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position is part of the Management Pay Plan. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.