- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
You can do great work and love what you do with the City of Delaware. We are an organization that succeeds because of teamwork, dedication, diversity and the innovative spirit of all of our members. The City of Delaware is an award-winning local government organization known for its professionalism, customer service orientation and a strong commitment to distinctive and well-planned community development. The work environment is stable with excellent benefits and retirement packages. Our mission is to ensure an effective government, a healthy economy, being a safe city and welcoming you to be a part of this great community!
The Bailiff assists in carrying out the duties and assignments of the security division. Position requires regular and reliable attendance. The work hours for this position are Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm.
- Provides security for the court facility to include staff, public, and prisoners.
- Maintains the integrity of the court by controlling the demeanor of participants in the criminal justice process both in the courtroom and outside the courtroom.
- Safeguard evidence/exhibits as directed.
- Processes prisoners.
- Performs courtroom bailiff responsibilities to ensure safe and timely completion of the daily court docket.
- Performs hallway bailiff responsibilities to ensure the public is informed on where to go and that their case is handled in a timely fashion, maintaining safety and security at all times.
- Performs metal detector and lobby bailiff responsibilities to ensure safety and security of the Courthouse.
- Performs civil service bailiff responsibilities to ensure the timely processing of paperwork.
- Ensures evidence is properly stored, maintained, and disposed per retention schedules.
- Maintains firearm proficiency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Computer, copier, phone, fax machine, firearms, taser, bailiff car, X-Ray Machine, Magnetometer, and other standard/modern office equipment; computer software (e.g., Microsoft Office, CMI, Image Burn, WordPerfect, Evidence Inventory, CISCO Webex, Publisher, and other applicable computer software).
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Majority of work is performed in an office environment or courtroom where the physical demands require sitting and standing for extended periods of time; may include exposure to potential personal danger.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and to communicate effectively with others in person.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written materials on a computer.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to use a firearm safely and effectively, to direct people and utilize equipment required for the performance of duties.
- Sufficient ability and strength to lift, carry, or otherwise move objects up to 50 pounds for varying distances.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Possession of an associate degree from an accredited college or university in a related field of study, or at least two years prior experience in a law enforcement, court services, or security field.
- Demonstrated experience in the security field, law enforcement, and/or probation or related field, including firearms.
- Must possess a valid Ohio driver's license and ability to maintain insurability under the City’s vehicle insurance policy.
- Must successfully complete OPOTA firearm qualification upon hire or provide current certification.
- Must possess and maintain CPR/First Aid/AED, Taser, Unarmed Self Defense, Verbal De-escalation certifications, registrations, or licenses.
- Regular and reliable attendance. Any combination of training and experience which will indicate the possession of the skills, knowledge and abilities listed below.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the security field, including firearms.
- Basic knowledge of the use of computer equipment and audio/video equipment.
- Effective communication skills in working with the public.
- Criminal and Civil law
- Working knowledge of Ohio Court Systems.
- Works well in team environment.
- Positive attitude.
- Deal with unruly personalities on a daily basis.
- Problem solver.
- Be honest, dependable and trustworthy.
- Work in unsanitary conditions performing evictions.
- Must possess a valid Ohio driver's license.
- Must successfully complete OPOTA firearm qualification upon hire, or provide current certification.
- Must be honest, dependable and trustworthy and pass a background check and drug screen.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
The City of Delaware offers a complete benefits package to full-time employees including: health care, dental care, and life insurance, retirement pension and savings plans, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and deferred compensation plans.
This position is part of the Municipal Court Pay Plan. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The information above is intended to be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position and should not be interpreted to describe all the duties which may be required of employees holding this position.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.