- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
You can do great work and love what you do with the City of Delaware. We are an organization that succeeds because of teamwork, dedication, diversity and the innovative spirit of all of our members. The City of Delaware is an award-winning local government organization known for its professionalism, customer service orientation and a strong commitment to distinctive and well-planned community development. The work environment is stable with excellent benefits and retirement packages. Our mission is to ensure an effective government, a healthy economy, being a safe city and welcoming you to be a part of this great community!
NATURE OF WORK
Under the direction of one or more department directors, provide administrative support to the department. The work consists of coordinating communications, customer service, scheduling, maintaining documentation, data entry, assisting with department activities and general clerical duties. As needed, attend evening meetings on behalf of the department, or work evenings or weekends during emergency events to assist in managing public information, calls and questions.
- Answer incoming phone calls, emails, other electronic inquiries and greets walk-in visitors, providing general department, division, or program information using knowledge of departmental and City regulations and policies; filter questions before determining and referring customers to appropriate department staff as needed.
- Maintains, files and retrieves materials using established paper and electronic filing system; scans and indexes records into an electronic document management system.
- Updates and maintains documents, spreadsheets, databases and reports; assigns codes and records numbers; runs standardized reports as requested.
- Receives applications, forms, and other documents; records or logs receipt of documents and prepares them for processing.
- Ensures documents are complete with proper signatures, stamps or other written information.
May perform data entry of general financial and purchasing functions which may include purchase requisitions, service orders, invoices, check requests.
- Composes routine correspondence and proofreads/edits documents; checks forms and materials for accuracy and completeness.
- Opens, sorts and distributes mail; prepares outgoing mail.
- Orders, stocks, and distributes office supplies; matches invoices to packing slips and validates deliveries; follows up with vendor as needed.
- Schedules appointments and routine meetings, reserves rooms; orders refreshments.
- Organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines, and following up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
- Strong proofreading, composition and editing skills.
- Skills using computers, Microsoft Office products (i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint), internet searches, social media sites and other related office equipment (printers, copiers, etc.)
- Knowledge of office terminology, practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of proper English grammar and spelling.
- Knowledge of mathematic fundamentals.
- Knowledge of records management and electronic filing system.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing in order to give and receive information in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Ability to handle confidential materials in strict confidence.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and efficiently organize and prioritize work assignments, projects, and activities.
- Ability to work independently, work under pressure, prioritize work and to set/achieve goals.
- Ability to operate a multi-line phone system.
- Ability to learn City operations and organization and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to maintain administrative, fiscal and general records and to prepare reports and answer questions from records.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Majority of work is performed in an office environment where the physical demands require sitting for extended periods of time; frequent use of computers and standard office equipment; may work under stress of deadlines.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and to communicate effectively with others in person and over the telephone.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written materials on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment and computer systems.
- Sufficient personal mobility and flexibility, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office setting and to sit for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient ability and strength to lift, carry, or otherwise move objects up to twenty (20) pounds for varying distances.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One to two year of previous experience in the administrative services field.
- Must be honest, dependable, and trustworthy and pass background check.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position is part of the American Federation State, County and Municipal Employees Contract. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer.? In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.?