Seasonal Street & Traffic Maintenance Laborer
- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
- A seasonal laborer within the Streets & Traffic Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department will perform various unskilled and semi-skilled duties which may include, but is not limited to: yard waste collection, painting (interior/exterior), flagging traffic, crack sealing, short line painting and pavement marking. Work is directed by and performed under the general supervision of the Division Supervisor and under the immediate supervision of the lead crew member on a particular assignment. Seasonal laborers may be assigned to any division within the Public Works Department as a substitute for individuals on vacation, sick leave, etc. or during heavy work load periods. Applicants should possess general mechanical aptitude as well as physical and mental ability to perform manual tasks.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, machinery and hand/power tools used in department projects and activities.
- Knowledge of basic math (ex: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers).
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, procedures and standard practices of street and right-of-way maintenance, vegetation control and removal, and related duties.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and rules involved in vehicle and equipment operation.
- Knowledge of basic traffic control/barricade procedures.
- Knowledge of standard safety protocols in the performance of essential functions as well as City policies regarding safe work practices.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and to communicate effectively with the public and other employees.
- Ability to understand simple roadmaps and City boundaries to establish ownership responsibilities.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including calculating and measuring distances.
- Ability to assist in concrete and asphalt repair/replacement.
- General mechanical aptitude and mental ability to operate hand/power tools and equipment in the performance of manual labor.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and related equipment in a skilled and safe manner and in accordance with traffic laws and regulations.
- Ability to perform work in a safe manner and report unsafe activities, conditions and faulty equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with fellow City staff, associates, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to perform relatively heavy manual work for extended periods of time and ability to withstand exposure to variable weather conditions.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- The primary duties of this position are performed in an outdoor environment and may include working in adverse weather conditions, vehicular traffic and hazards involving the use of power tools and equipment, hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and alarm and warning systems, including back-up alarms.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and work orders.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate a variety of hand and power tools and to make adjustments to equipment.
- Sufficient strength to lift and carry objects up to fifty (50) pounds for varying distances.
- Sufficient personal mobility, stamina, flexibility and balance to perform maintenance and repair operations that require bending, stooping, kneeling, stretching and other physical exertions in an outdoor environment, frequently in varying temperatures.
- Sufficient ability to endure prolonged exposure to varying temerpatures; i.e. prolonged sun and heat exposure during summer months and cold/wind/dampness exposure during winter months.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
Must be 18 years of age or older with a valid State of Ohio driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
On average, this position works 24-40 hours per week. Availability of work may be weather dependent.
Per Section 155.09 of the City of Delaware Codified Ordinances, seasonal positions are temporary and generally do not exceed five calendar months in a year.