Economic Development Project Manager
- Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
You can do great work and love what you do with the City of Delaware. We are an organization that succeeds because of teamwork, dedication, diversity and the innovative spirit of all of our members. The City of Delaware is an award-winning local government organization known for its professionalism, customer service orientation and a strong commitment to distinctive and well-planned community development. The work environment is stable with excellent benefits and retirement packages. Our mission is to ensure an effective government, a healthy economy, being a safe city and welcoming you to be a part of this great community!
The Economic Development Project Manager serves as an action-oriented project manager, proactively initiating cutting-edge economic development programs, executing the City of Delaware’s Economic Development strategic plan and supporting the City’s overall vision of being a progressive and growing community. Responsibilities include building relationships with the Delaware business community and other regional, state, and international partners and developing/enacting policies and programs that serve as differentiators for the City of Delaware; working with the ED Coordinator to administer the City’s Business Retention and Expansion Program; proactively marketing Delaware for economic development attraction projects (regional/state, national and international); managing programs related to business creation/entrepreneurship and corporate wellness; and working with partners to implement cutting-edge workforce development programs.
- Leads Request For Information (RFI) completions.
- Manages the RFI and Business Attraction Local Response Team.
- Manages and conducts site visits.
- Manages business attraction program, projects and communications.
- Under leadership and guidance of ED Director, negotiates, develops agreements and legislation and acquires necessary approvals on business attraction incentives.
- Acts as business concierge and project manager during development/construction/renovation until company occupies facilities.
- Manages Business Retention and Expansion programs.
- Manages, creates and executes economic development programs, sometimes led by consultants/contractors, consistent with the City of Delaware’s Economic Development Strategic Plan and Strategic Focus Areas Project Management (Expansions, Resource Delivery, Incentives, etc.)
- Negotiates economic development agreements and incentives for retention and expansion projects.
- Manages and administers small business development programs and coordinates resource providers for small businesses.
- Serves on Entrepreneurial Center Operations Team.
- Manages small business development projects that have not been assigned to the Entrepreneurial Center.
- Proactively markets the City of Delaware for economic development attraction projects and programs both in person, and through electronic and social media outlets.
- Manages and develops social media content/messaging for consistency and focus on City’s strategic and tactical ED goals.
- Researches and develops marketing and communications tactical opportunities for business attraction
- Overseas content consistency, relevancy and currency on Website. Manages some pages within Website.
- Manages receipt of annual incentive reports and analyzes information provided for compliancy.
- Builds and maintains relationships with community partners and the regional economic development community, including Mid-Ohio Development Exchange (MODE), One Columbus, Jobs Ohio, Ohio Development Services Agency, local chambers of commerce, NAIOP, the Ohio Economic Development Association, Delaware City Schools, Delaware Area Career Center, Columbus State Community College, Ohio State University, and others.
- Represents the City of Delaware at high profile City functions and regional events, and takes an active role in regional economic development initiatives along with presenting and participating in forums to promote the Delaware brand.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of Economic Development programs and policies, and proposes alternatives where necessary to ensure that they remain responsive and relevant.
- Continuously remains current on Economic Development trends and modifies strategies to keep Delaware on the cutting edge.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong database and spreadsheet experience
- Strong Web content management system experience
- Strong social media content creation and community cultivation experience
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Work independently, under pressure, to achieve goals and to create a supportive work environment
- Skill in using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines
- Knowledge and experience in event planning
- Knowledge of strategic and tactical traditional and multi-media marketing
- Knowledge of economic development programs, fundamentals of negotiations and contract management
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations, Ohio Revised Code and Delaware City policies and procedures as they pertain to the work of the department
- Extensive knowledge of spreadsheets
- Knowledge of environmental review, bidding, prevailing wage and monitoring procedures associated with publicly funded projects
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply rules, regulations and guidelines associated with Economic Development programs
- Knowledge of state and local government structure, operations, functions, practices and procedure.
- High energy and positive attitude
- Ability to forecast requirements and control expenditures within budgeting guidelines
- Ability to work courteously and effectively with clients concerning controversial issues
- Ability to deal with many variables, define and solve problems, collect, analyze and interpret data, establish facts and determine specific action, evaluate and improve process and/or program efficiency / effectiveness
- Ability to research issues relating to economic development programs and business development
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, schedule and prioritize work assignments and tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, governmental officials, business owners and the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in oral and written form and to prepare and present effective public presentations.
- Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- The primary duties of this position are performed in a public office building environment with some activities being performed outdoors and under adverse weather conditions.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, use a telephone and communicate effectively with others over the telephone or in person.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written material.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment and computer systems.
- Sufficient body flexibility and personal mobility, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office setting and conduct field inspections, as required.
- Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Administration or related field required.
- Four to five years relevant work experience including but not limited to working in a government or non-profit economic development office, corporate new business development office, or marketing/communications/public relations department.
- Certification in Economic Development preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Ohio driver's license.
- Must be honest, dependable and trustworthy, and able to pass a background check and drug test.
- Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position is part of the Management Pay Plan. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.